17 Resources for Remote Work and Virtual Leaders
The following resources are being collected and curated by i4cp's research team to employees, managers, and leaders adjusting to remote work / working from home and virtual leadership responsibilities.
Remote Work / Working From Home
- Microsoft’s Remote Work Checklist – a simple, good place to start
- A Quick Guide to Working from Home – a more detailed look at working from home considerations
- Free Courses from LinkedIn Learning – a set of 16 free courses on working remotely, time management, managing virtual teams, common tools like Zoom, Teams, WebEx, etc., and other topics.
- Google's list of Remote Work resources – long list of additional resources
- i4cp: Video is Key to Keeping Teams connected During Forced Social Isolation
- Zooming to Conclusions – written by a long-time computer security professional, giving advice on how to secure your use of Zoom meetings
- The Five Levels of Remote Work – and why you're probably at Level 2
- A Deep Dive into Remote Work for Our Future of Work – Forbes, March 9, 2020
- Pros and Cons of Telecommuting – pre-COVID-19, this is a massive repository of pros and cons of remote work, organized into four areas: pros for community, employees, companies, and then cons overall.
- A Conference Call in Real Life – the famous, funny video that captures so many of the challenges with virtual meetings
- Inspire Action: Managing Your (Newly) Remote Workers – from CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion
- Hybrid Remote Work Offers the Worst of Both Worlds – Wired, July 12, 2020
- What Is an Office For? – Harvard Business Review, July 15, 2020
- Tips for Managing a Remote Workforce during Coronavirus–and Beyond – includes insights and advice from GitLab, a completely virtual organization with over 1,000 employees.
- A Guide to Managing Your (Newly) Remote Workers – Harvard Business Review, March 18, 2020
- Best Practices for Managing Employees While on Telework Status – written from a legal and requirements standpoint
- i4cp: The Massive and Rapid Shift to Remote Work and Virtual Leadership
- i4cp: 4 Things Not to Overlook Amidst COVID-19
- i4cp: Agility in the Age of COVID-19 – includes i4cp’s Agile Leaders’ Checklist
- i4cp: Infographic: 7 Critical Skills for Your Virtual Leader Training
- i4cp: Best and Next Practices in Virtual Leadership
Tom is a Senior Research Analyst at i4cp, with over two decades of experience as a writer, researcher, and speaker in the learning and development and broader human capital industry. He is also author of multiple books, including co-authoring Interact and Engage! 75+ Activities for Virtual Training, Meetings, and Webinars (second edition from ATD Press, 2022).