In this week’s episode of Leading the Way, restaurateur, entrepreneur, and philanthropist Phil Romano—founder of restaurant chains Fuddruckers and Romano’s Macaroni Grill—talks about entrepreneurism, how to appeal to the next generation of young professionals, mentorship, creativity, and the importance of giving back to the community.
i4cp CEO Kevin Oakes also joins the broadcast to share research insights on innovation, and specifically the people practices that help foster cultures of innovation.
- On entrepreneurism – “If I am going to be successful as an entrepreneur, I’ve got to solve people’s problems, make their life more comfortable, and give them an easier way out.”
- On innovation – “I am not here to educate people how to eat. I’m here to feed them, what they like, what they want, and I’m going to give it to them better than they’ve ever had it before in a very different and unique atmosphere….making it fun, exciting, and appeal to all their senses.”
- On mentorship – “Seeing people grow and the only way you benefit is from the fact that you helped them. That’s what mentorship is.”
- On branding – “What’s going to make people come to my restaurant rather than the guy next door’s? I’ve got to have a point of difference. And that point of difference is the basis for your brand.”
- On the next generation – “They’ve been eating at these old, same casual dining places with their mothers and fathers all their lives. They’re tired of them. They want their own stuff, their own thing. It’s their world. I’ve got to create concepts for them.”
- On giving back – “In this phase of my life, I want intrinsic value from what I do. I am planting trees, even though I may not be around to sit in the shade.”
About Leading the Way
Leading the Way is a weekly radio and podcast series that highlights influential business leaders and leading people practices from i4cp. Hosted by Emmy-award winning radio host Scott Murray and i4cp's Angel Carlton, the show feature interviews with respected business leaders, from Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt to "Shark Tank" investor Mark Cuban.
The show airs live each Sunday at 4pm CT on KLIF 570 in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and debuts on the i4cp website the following week.