Whether you’re a wine lover or not, you’ll enjoy all that Gina Gallo, third generation winemaker, shares about her 85-year-old family business and how the success of the company is a direct result of each generation taking care of the next.
In this podcast, Gina reveals the history of how her grandfather, Julio, started the winery and the advice he gave her that she still applies in her life and the business today. You’ll hear how the company is focusing on sustainability, going so far as to work with IBM and NASA to save water on the vine. Mentorship, diversity, customer focus, succession planning, philanthropy and the importance of protecting their brand are some of the perspectives Gina openly discusses.
So, grab a glass of your favorite vino and enjoy this winemaking history lesson as Gina gives us a look at life on the vineyard and how the Gallo Family is truly leading the way. Cheers!
- On mentorship - “No one does it alone. Find those mentors, the guidance. You’re going to have the passion and the know-how, but at the same time, there’s always great questions you can ask and always someone you could lean on. It really takes a community to make things happen.”
- On leadership - “It’s about being a leader by example. My beginnings were not about metrics and all of what it is today; we are in a more professional, organized world. But when I started my career, it was much more about learning by example.”
- On diversity - “In the wine world, I think we’re ahead of a lot of other industries. In the 90’s when I started, the experimental area were all men but they would search out women to help redesign grocery stores. They weren’t asking men because 85% of wine is purchased by women.”
- On customer focus - “It’s understanding the consumer, but giving them more. Talking to them and seeing what they like, what they’re loving right now. What else can we do as being on the ground in the vineyard, in the winery, to even bring out something more interesting and new and exciting to them? That is definitely our journey right now.”
- On innovation - “If we look at 85 years, we’re here because we’re very much entrepreneurs in spirit and very innovative in spirit. I feel brilliant ideas can come from anywhere. It could be your coworker, your supplier, your vendor, your grower, anyone. As a family winery, we’ve tried very hard to open those ears, listen, and to embrace individuals that have these ideas.”
About Leading the Way
Leading the Way is a weekly radio show and podcast series that highlights influential business leaders and leading people practices from i4cp. Co-hosted by Emmy award-winning television anchor and radio host, Scott Murray, and i4cp’s Angel Carlton, the show features interviews with respected business leaders from the world of business, sports, entertainment, healthcare and philanthropy.
The show airs live every Sunday at 4 pm CT on KLIF 570 in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, the global audience is invited to listen live on www.klif.com and the weekly podcast debuts on iTunes or Google Play and the i4cp website the following week.